How to Season a Pan
Seasoning the pan is important when you will be sautéing something cold, wet, and has protein in it, like pancakes; eggs; and chicken breasts. Here is a simple way of taking a stainless steel pan and making it non-stick.
- Heat the pan on medium high heat
- Add enough oil to just coat the bottom of the pan: about 2 Tbsp and 1 tsp of salt
- Turn the heat down to medium low and let the oil and salt cook for 15 minutes
- After 15 minutes, use a wadded paper towel to protect your fingers and polish the bottom of the pan with the oily towel and the salt
- Brush the salt out of the pan and discard
- The pan should now be non-stick until you wash the film of oil away